Teeth Cleaning & Dental Exams in Beverly Hills CA
Dental cleaning is a simple, painless, and non-invasive preventive dental procedure that seeks to reduce the risk of dental issues such as cavities, gum disease, and bad breath by removing built-up plaque and tartar. Patients often experience some mild vibrations, cooling mist of liquid, and a bit of pressure during scraping, though this doesn’t cause any discomfort. On the contrary, the feeling can be quite satisfying in knowing that you can keep enjoying your healthy teeth and smile for longer.
Ideally, dental cleanings should be performed every six months, but your dental hygienist may recommend shorter intervals if you’re at greater risk due to pregnancy, your lifestyle habits, or your general health. Moreover, if you have gum disease, your dental hygienist may recommend deep scaling – as opposed to regular dental cleaning – to remove plaque from your tooth roots as well.
Generally, the first step before any dental cleaning is an examination of your mouth. The dental hygienist needs to physically check your teeth, gums, tongue, and the entire mouth for any concerns using a small mirror. If there are no problems, then the procedure for dental cleaning may be as follows:
1. Plaque and Tartar Removal: A scaler is used to remove plaque and calculus from the surface of individual teeth, between the teeth, and around the gum line. This step may take longer if it has been a long time since your last cleaning.
2. Polishing: A high-powered brush with a soft rubber cup and gritty toothpaste helps to gently scrub and polish your teeth. This not only removes any surface stains, but also makes your tooth surface smooth and shiny to make it harder for plaque to form.
3. Expert Flossing: This step helps to thoroughly clean the area between your teeth to remove any leftover plaque and toothpaste from the previous steps.
4. Rinsing: The dental hygienist uses a mouth rinse with liquid fluoride to remove any debris and clean your mouth.
5. Fluoride Treatment: As the final step, your dental hygienist may apply flavored fluoride by putting it in flexible trays that are then placed over your teeth for 30 seconds. This helps to strengthen your teeth and enhance the protection against plaque and calculus.
To learn more about what to expect from a Cleaning and Exam in Beverly Hills CA procedure, please contact your dental office today.